Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Identity Map explanations

Since the identity map has so many components, it is a little hard to read my explanations for privilege, oppression, and how I perceive my role is between them.

The background is word art that covers the four given prompts about privilege and oppression.
1. I believe that historically, and even today sometimes, white people tend to benefit and use the privilege gained from oppressing other races, such as African Americans.
2. Usually those who are oppressed do not receive privilege; however, those who oppress or are privileged can reap the benefits of those they oppress.
3. Race, ethnicity, and gender that "go against the norm" are typically targets of oppression. For example, there was never an issue with marriage between a man and a women, but those seeking a same-sex marriage were oppressed.
4. Those being oppressed for things they can't help usually help face scrutiny, inability to do things they want, fear, violence, and a sense that they don't belong.

Within each of the pictures, I have an explanation for when I started to realize these things and when they became a part of my identity.

The shape of my body is something that I have most likely always noticed but did not start to particularly care about until middle school. Although sometimes my body shape may have been "different from the norm," I never felt oppressed about it. The arrow leading to the image of different body types is big to show that as I change, my body image and my awareness of my body type change as well.

The color of my skin has been something I have noticed since my childhood. I have not felt oppression over the color of my skin; although I have noticed oppression over skin color in the world around me. I do not feel that I am privileged simply because of my skin color, but I do feel that I may have certain things easier than someone of another race. The arrow leading to this identity is small because skin color is an unchanging part of me.

My gender is also something I have noticed since my childhood. I haven't felt oppression specifically because I am a woman however things like getting a job or getting into college can sometimes be harder for girls than for boys. Gender also has a small arrow because it is something that I can't and don't want to change.

My sexual identity has always been something I've known since my first playground crush. However, sexual orientation and identity didn't start to really matter until middle school and high school when hormones and dating were added into the mix. Since I fit "the norm" for my gender, I have never really faced oppression or privilege for my sexual identity. That being said, I am aware of the oppression those who do not fit "the norm" face. I am very secure in my sexual identity and orientation so this has a small arrow to indicate it will not change.

Socioeconomic class is something that never really seemed important growing up but has become apparent as I have gotten older. I do feel privileged and blessed in this area; however, I know that both of my parents have worked very hard to give my family everything we have and have never had anything "handed to them." I gave this category a big arrow because socioeconomic class is something that is always changing depending on the economy, opportunities, and how hard a person works.

I was baptized into the Catholic Church right after I was born and have been going to church every Sunday I can remember. This has a small arrow because it is something I would consider a concrete part of my personality.

I would technically identify with the republican party because their views on policies are most similar to my own. This I gave a big arrow because my political affiliation may change depending on how the stance on certain policies change as well as who is running for each party.

My age is something that I have always been aware of because I have had a birthday every year. The only oppression I have felt over my age have been not being able to apply for certain jobs or vote because I am not yet 18. I gave this a small arrow because while age is constantly changing, age as part of my identity is not likely to change.

3 comments:

  1. I find it interesting that some of the characteristics you emphasis are physical features. In the article diversity awareness, we are simply diverse due to our difference. I believe this is why you were so aware of your weight at a young age. In school, if you do not look like everyone else in terms of body shape, it makes you feel more like an outcast, when in actuality everyone has smaller differences that go unnoticed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed that some of the characteristics that you identified as concrete, were ones that have changed for me. I think that our differences become emphasized in our minds where others do not see it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you explained that you notice all of these things about yourself, and then go one to explain the differences between you and sometimes the world around you. And I also like the fact that you put up different things, like body image, sexual orientation, etc. and explained kind of how you felt about them. I know that a lot of people don't necessarily recognize what is going on in the world around them, because it doesnt affect them personally.

    ReplyDelete