Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Identity Map

This is my identity map and how I perceive privilege, oppression, and my role with these topics. Key: if an arrow is big, such as with politics, it shows an identity that is still changing as I learn more about myself and become more informed with the world around me; small arrows represent concrete parts of my identity, such as religion that are unchanging.
Although they aren't physically part of the map, the biggest part of my identity that I notice is family. My religion, political association, socioeconomic class, and many other areas have been influenced by my family. I am not really surprised that my identity came a lot from my family because I have a pretty large, tight-knit, family. Again, any area I may have been privileged, such as race or socioeconomic class, is because of my family. I didn't have any "new revelations" or awareness with this project because a lot of my identity, or at least the core parts, are unchanging. 

My favorite type of power that we have learned through our class explorations and the reading is transformative power. The way the Chilean women came together to change their circumstances and create power has really stuck with me. An instance where I have felt, or hope to feel this, is with Thon. Although I have yet to participate, I have already gotten involved with a special organization and I have seen my cousins participate. I see myself as making a change and doing something to help people who need it, like the families effected by pediatric cancer. This would most likely be my desired self because I would be doing something selfless. Hopefully others see me as doing something good for those around me and being supportive. Cyberspace and the media can sometimes be a bad thing; however in this case it gets the word out about Thon and helps people support it and become informed. I do have a race, but in this power situation, race does not really play a factor as everyone has an equal opportunity to help out. The conditions for Thon and for everyone involved are really great. Its a very fun and supportive environment and although it does take a lot of physical energy, it is worth it. Although religion, race, and gender may be an issue with domination power, when people come together for transformative power like the Chilean's or like people do for Thon, we are able to overcome all of these social boundaries. 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that you feel that you have always been affiliated with you particular set of political beliefs, while for many others it takes years to formulate opinions. Perhaps this is the result of political socialization. Are you parents also republican?

    ReplyDelete